Step 1. Cut the Shelf Parts
Cut the following pieces for the floating shelves and mounting frames, using your BLACK+DECKER® 18V Circular Saw:
- (4) 36" long pieces of 1 x 10 pine for the top and bottom of the floating shelves
- (2) 36" long pieces of 1 x 3 pine for the sides of the floating shelves
- (4) 8 ½" long pieces of 1 x 3 pine for the ends of the floating shelves
- (6) 7" long pieces of 1 x 3 pine for the mounting frame struts
- (4) 34" long pieces of 1 x 3 pine for the front and back of the mounting frame
Note: If your 1 x 3 boards are thicker than ¾", cut the shelf ends and frame struts shorter as needed.
Step 2. Assemble the Shelf Tops, Sides, and Ends
Place a 914mm-long shelf side piece under one of the 25x254mm shelf tops. The front face of the side piece should be flush with the front edge of the shelf top and the pieces should be square at both ends. Using your drill driver, drill pilot holes with a 210mm drill bit to help prevent splitting the wood. Secure the top to the side piece with 38mm wood screws, driving one at each end and one in the middle. Fit a 210mm end piece at each end so all edges are flush. Drill pilot holes and secure the ends with screws driven through the top of the shelf and into the end pieces. Add one more screw at each bottom corner joint. Repeat the same process to assemble the other shelf.
Step 3. Attach the Bottom Shelf Pieces
Flip each shelf over with the open side facing up and place a 25x254mm bottom piece on top of the assembly to create a box. Adjust until all edges are flush, drill pilot holes, and secure the bottom with five wood screws, one in each corner and one centred along the front edge.